Monday, December 28, 2009

How important is it to follow steps and exact ingredients in recipes when cooking?

for me personally, i dont' think it's that important, I think the recipe is just a good guideline to follow. You can omit certain ingredients which you may not have on hand or may not prefer. And some of the steps can changed for a matter of convenience...but basically if you've cooked before, there are things you know you can and cannot do when cooking..And if it turns out bad, you learn from your experience....how do expert cooks feel about this? Thanks!How important is it to follow steps and exact ingredients in recipes when cooking?
Cooking is an art; baking is more of a science. My Mom never owned a cook book or a measuring cup; and often made do when she was missing an ingredient.


I followed her example, owned a catering business, and most consider me a great cook; plus, I love it.


In baking however, unless you have LOTS of experience, you'd better follow a good recipe.How important is it to follow steps and exact ingredients in recipes when cooking?
That's fine unless you're baking. Then your measurements have to be exact. I, myself like to modify most of my regular cooking recipes, it makes it more your own and usually becomes a family favorite.
Heh, at least I'm not the only one who uses more garlic than called for! If it's a new recipe, I follow it pretty much to the letter, then make mental notes about what I could change to make it better next time around. I have my tried and true recipes from the years kicking around in my head that I don't need to look at a recipe anymore.





Now, baking is much different, at least for me. The most I'll do to a recipe is add more herbs. Otherwise it's by the book!
I agree...i look at the recipes but never follow them i add my own touches and have never had any conplaints...now im not saying im a good cook but i do enjoy it
it all depends on the recipe if it is baking then most of the time i try to follow the recipe almost exact but with any other recipe wether it be meat or anyother type i make it up as i go sometimes looking at the recipe but most of the time i make my own recipe when it comes to cooking it is easier then having the same old same old and it is fun my son loves to cook with me we actually have fun not following all of the directions as i tell him but he knows that the recipe is there if he ever wants to try it the way it is written from our family or friends so it is good to change or not even use the recipe unless you are baking when you are doing that i usually try to folllow this pretty close but i do change it a little to say that it is my own so not always following a recipe is alright and it can actually be fun cause you are making up your won as you go along
When it comes to cooking, I alter and change every recipe I find to fit my family's likes. When it comes to anything baked though, I stick to the mane in gredients and amounts b/c baking can be more like science then creativity.
for savory items i rarely follow the recipe, but for baking you need to stick with it. Baking is a science and the ingredients need to be in the proper proportions.
You already have given the answer so why ask the question? But I will say I agree with you. I don't follow recipe one. Never have and never will. OH, By the way, I am a very good cook.
ditto
When cooking? Not so much. When baking? A little more important or things may not raise correctly...for instance, salt is necessary when using baking soda to get the soda to react, etc.
Soooooo important for others who eat your prepared food!


Not So important if only you eat it!!





Practice makes a man perfect! Keep cooking!
I agree with you. The only ingredients that are essential to follow the precise amounts are those in baking where a chemical reaction occurs (yeast, baking powder, salt, baking soda). Otherwise, a dash here and there will suffice instead of precisely measured 1/4 teaspoons. Nuts? Nope, don't want 'em. Too little garlic? Add 5x the amount in the recipe. This is how I cook, with reckless abandon!
It depends on the recipe. If a recipe turning out correctly depends on certain chemical reactions or relationships between ingredients (like cakes rising, correct sweet-sour-salty ratio in a sauce, souffle rising, custard setting), those ingredients have to be pretty much exact to get it right. However, if it's something like leaving out onions or a seasoning that you dislike in cooking, it'll usually be okay.
You should follow the recipes to the letter. After all, these are recipes that have been perfected.
mixing it up to the way you would prefer it is perfectly fine. baking is the only thing that you would have to follow everything. or it would be gross and not look yummy at all.
  • consumer credit counseling
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment